I’m Reader in Philosophy at Birkbeck College, and a Visiting Fellow at the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR). I work in social epistemology, both theoretical and applied, with a particular interest in the value of truth and the ways in which society can be set up to promote it.
On the theoretical side, I’ve worked on the following:
- a type of epistemic value monism on which true belief is the only fundamental epistemic value;
- a consequentialist virtue epistemology (see here and here), and the de-biasing potentials of virtues of deference and listening, as part of Wake Forest University’s Character Project;
- a form of epistemic paternalism on which we’re sometimes justified in interfering with the inquiry of others without their consent but for their own epistemic good; and
- cognitive outsourcing, i.e., the handing over (outsourcing) of one’s information collection and processing (the cognitive), together with researchers on Lund University's project Knowledge in a Digital World.
As for applied social epistemology, I’ve
- explored the problems posed for democracy by public ignorance (see here and here) and the pitfalls of relying on social deliberation in democratic decision making; and
- done experimental work on self-resolving information markets in collaboration with Dysrupt Labs, to explore if such markets can be made to match traditional markets in accuracy, without relying on external events in settling pay-offs.
At present, I’m
- exploring how to make anti-immigration sentiments responsive to evidence of the economic benefits of immigration, together with the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR); and
- defending epistemic consequentialism (see here and here) in a project with Jeff Dunn (DePauw), funded by the British Academy. As part of the project, Jeff and I are editing a volume on epistemic consequentialism for Oxford University Press.
For more on my reserach projects, past and present, see my research projects page.
I live in north east London with my wife and son. Whenever the three of us get a chance, we travel.
You'll find my contact information at the foot of this page.